What is a High Bay Light Fitting?
High bays are designed to be used in very high areas (approximately 8m and greater) to provide well distributed and uniform light for open areas. The key element of the fitting which will help guarantee the correct light output is the reflectors and optics used by the fitting. A particular consideration for use with a high bay is if it can light vertical surfaces as well as it can illuminate the floor, or working plane. Lighting of verticals is particularly important when dealing with warehouses where items are required to be picked from a shelf.
Different types of High Bays?
To simplify there are 3 x different types of High Bay light fittings;
- Compact Fluorescent
- Incandescent / Halogen
There are a lot of alternatives for this kind of lighting for you to choose from, but the LED lamps are getting popular for high bay lightings in high roofing facilities and venues. Whether in places such as warehouses, loading docks, sports arenas, and gymnasium, you can see high bay LED LAMP fixtures.
The question to ask yourself is, what type of high bay light bulbs are you using? Are they energy-efficient, money-saving and environment-friendly? What are the lighting requirements for your environment if being used in an industrial or commercial setting?
LEDs are setting the standard for lighting fixtures. If you have not been using LED fixtures yet, you might want to consider the advantages and drawbacks.
Here are reasons why too choose LED High bay fixtures;
- Emits zero UV rays. LEDs are safe, as it does not release ultraviolet rays. So it does not pose any detrimental effect to humans and animals. Primarily LEDs have been designed to be environment friendly.
- Long lasting. The longevity of LEDs’ lifespan gives them an edge over other regular bulbs. Approximately, they last around 50 times longer than any other traditional light fittings. It’s this characteristic of their long life that has caused LEDs to become so popular to some users, with their high bay lighting solutions. High Bay fittings are generally much more expensive to replace the bulbs due to the safety equipment required to reach the fitting.
- Electricity efficient. LEDs don’t consume a lot of energy to produce light, thus it saves you a whole lot of money every day. This advantage can be a good reason that everyone should go for LED high bay lights in commercial establishments.
- Cut down AC bills. Since LEDs do not emit heat waves, the fitting is much cooler compared with other lamps. This then, results in a cooler surrounding and eventually in reduction of energy consumption, such as with air conditioners.
Here are drawbacks to LED High bay fixtures;
- Initial Investment. The number one reason why people / companies do not consider choosing LEDs is that it requires a higher initial investment compared to other high bay alternatives. People do not take into consideration that there is a considerable amount of money saved in electricity bills reduction and ongoing maintenance. The use of LED High bay light can then be compensated in the long run.
- Lighting requirements in specific situations. LEDs may fail to meet the lumen / lighting requirements in some specific situations, though this is not common.
Want to find out more speak to an expert?