Implementing and maintaining testing and tagging can seem to be another compliance burden but if you are in business – either commercial premises, retail premises or offices, then every electrical items needs to be regularly tested for electrical safety.
Test and tagging is one way to help protect your staff, clients and visitors to your premises.
The nature and frequency of inspecting and testing of electrical items will vary depending on the nature of the workplace and the risks associated with the electrical equipment.
As a general rule of thumb electrical items should be tested and tag every 12 months. More high risk areas more frequent testing is required. For example;
- Electrical equipment used in manufacturing and workshop environments (e.g. every 6 months)
- Commercial cleaning equipment (e.g. every 6 months)
- Portable & hire equipment (e.g. every 3 months)
Log Book or other similar form of record is required to be kept. We take care of this hassel for you by providing an electronic record with every invoice and we retain a backup if yours ever goes walk about.
Additional advantages of a electronic log book:
- It ensures there is a permanent record of inspections and testing carried out (for example, as a backup if tags are damaged or removed)
- Facilitates internal audits
- Allows more detailed information to be recorded.
Unlike general test and tag companies we as electricians can also carry out any on the spot repairs to make items pass / compliant.
We can also test your emergency lighting and safety switches to offer a complete electrical safefty check for your business.
Tip / Advice:Make sure whoever does your test & tag ‘tests’ the appliance and is not just tagging item!